How to Quickly Lighten Your Moving Load
As you are packing to move, we have a secret for you . . . move less stuff!
It’s obvious, but it’s true. You can save time, money, and the anxiety of finding the right place for extra stuff if you take the time before your big day to declutter. While you may have things destined for the dump, the odds are you have a lot more stuff that could find a better home with someone else. So how do you quickly and easily declutter your home before the move?
- Start with a garage sale. The garage sale is a reliable way to offload your junk. For example, you may not want to keep your surfboard when moving to Prescott, but someone may be willing to pay top dollar for it. Another option is a “moving in” garage sale. Consider having a garage sale when you arrive. Plus, this can be a great way to get to know your new neighbors.
- Sell your stuff online. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, eBay, and Nextdoor are all excellent venues for finding buyers. These online marketplaces offer a fast option for many people to see what you have to sell. However, remember to be safety conscious when meeting with strangers. Beware of scammers, and instead of inviting strangers into your home, if possible, meet the buyer in a grocery store parking lot or at a gas station.
- App it up! There are multiple competing apps for selling stuff privately, including OfferUp, Gone, and LetGo. Best of all, these work directly from your smartphone, making it easy to snap pics and post ads in a hurry.
- Recycle: Take any electronics or paper goods to the nearest recycling center. It’s an eco-friendly way of decluttering your home and getting rid of unwanted items.
- Donate it! Get a tax deduction, and let someone else benefit from your unwanted items by dropping them off at Goodwill Industries, Stepping Stones, or the Salvation Army. This is also an excellent way to impact the community positively.
Don’t let extra clutter drag down your move. Set aside time before the big day to sell, trade, or donate. You may sell enough to earn a few extra bucks to buy pizza on your first night in your new place.
Are you still searching for that perfect home? I’d love to help! Or, if you need to list your home, I love listing homes and helping them sell fast. Give me a call! Kim Shaw (928) 710-9148
Moving to Prescott?
Are you getting ready to move to the Prescott Area? Welcome to “Everybody’s Hometown!” We are excited to have you! You have picked a gorgeous town. Prescott truly has something for everyone. There are plenty of things to do in the area, making it the perfect community for people of all ages. Prescott is rated as one of the best places to retire, but our town is equally as family-friendly (and dog-friendly too!). The Prescott population is growing; however, it still offers the small-town feel the city has to offer and gives residents the best of both worlds.